When relocating to Maui, all we can think of is warm days with our families and friends. Up until a short time ago, transporting our loving animals has been almost impossible. Seemingly torturous to hold them in a small cell for an extended period of time. To most owners – not worth the stress that in some horror cases is irrecoverable.
The times have changed… The days of locking up our furry friends in quarantine to bring them over to the islands is long gone! All the is necessary is the correct documentation and proper planning!
Start by signing UP! Contact Kelly, the direct release coordinator with Central Maui Animal Clinic at: firstname.lastname@example.org – 808-446-1521.
Kelly is amazing and will be your liaison in getting things prepared. She will help you do be sure you have the correct documentation, and is the first one to meet your furry dog or cat when they arrive on Maui. If your pet is with you on the cabin, Kelly is waiting on the jetway to receive you and your family. They’ll take them for a walk to stretch out as they wait for your family to deplane and/or arrive to the designated location.
Have the correct DOCUMENTATION! Have your photo ID and the state permit and health certificate ready and they’ll have you on your way quickly. There’s a pee pee spot at the airport and they’re animal lovers, so you can feel assured they’re in great hands.
The new requirement is 30 days of a minimum waiting period after a successful FAVN rabies antibodies test before arriving in Hawaii.
The Main Requirements of the Program:
1. The Fees for direct release are at $185.00 – $244 if you want them released in 5 days or less.
2. Be sure your furry friend has a MICROCHIP
3. Get in touch with Central Maui Animal Clinic to help you plan, then have the FAVN blood test done with the correct timing of your travel plans (30 days)
More information can be found via the State Website here
Check out the following Checklist for Import of Pets to Hawaii is below, or printable Checklist for Pets to Hawaii
Owners must submit the following documentation so it is received by the Animal Quarantine Station 30 days or more ahead of the planned date of arrival:
- Completed and signed Dog & Cat Import Form (AQS-279). (Does NOT have to be notarized.)
- Original rabies vaccine certificates for the 2 most recent vaccinations.
- Payment of $165 by cashier’s check or money order.
- Flight information (i.e. Airlines, flight number, date and time of arrival).
- Check “Neighbor Island Inspection Permit $165” on the program applying for section of the Dog and Cat Import Form AQS-279.
The team at Central Maui Animal Clinic have made some awesome moves for our island over the past decade. They’ve expanded their staff and business hours to accommodate 24 hour emergency help. They’ve also opened Lahaina and South Maui Locations. Rely on them to help you through the process, then reward them by giving them your on-island business.
Looking forward to seeing you and your families back on the island.
If you’re curious about Maui real estate, reach out! Let’s get your toes in the sand.
Aloha, Erica Haleakala text + call + email 808-281-4107